Hi,

I was wondering if Django could or should nudge Python 2 users toward the
latest stable release of 2.7.x? For example, we could require at least
2.7.8 by removing the fallback pbkdf2() implementation in
django.utils.crypto [0]. I guess part of my feeling is that if you're
running 1.11 LTS for at least another three years, you should really try to
use the latest Python 2 as it has security improvements and fixes compared
to the older 2.7.x releases.

As a data point, Ubuntu 14.04 ships with Python 2.7.6 and 16.04 ships with
Python 2.7.12.

[0] https://github.com/django/django/pull/7556

Thanks for your input.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/16cafa10-d727-4b42-be26-4e5458520546%40googlegroups.com.