Hello,

in Debian we recently had a discussion about the package name we use for
Django applications/extensions, it's usually python-django-<foo>. But the
generic naming policy we have for all Python modules implies that this
package would provide a "django_foo" Python module and this is not always
the case.

That said we do believe that it is a sort of best-practice and that
as such it should be documented somewhere in the Django documentation.

See the thread on the Debian side here:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2016/11/threads.html#00082

In general, the python module name should match the name on pypi
(except for conversion between "-" and "_") and it should be prefixed with
"django_" to make it clear that this module is for use within the Django
framework.

Would you agree to add this recommendation somewhere in the official
Django doc?

Looking at https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/intro/reusable-apps/
it already recommends a "django-" prefix, so the only missing
recommendation is really that the "polls" module should be renamed into
"django_polls" when included in a PyPi package to avoid namespace
pollution and have a direct match between the package name and the module
name.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Writer/Consultant ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/20161207103930.4idy6pqh3i2iw2xa%40home.ouaza.com.