> That said, it is pretty incredible that beginners can (still) install
Django just about anywhere they have Python without compiling anything at
all.

I think this comment perfectly summarises my initial resistance to forcing
this change.

I think adding argon2_cffi to extra_requires could be a good idea, so that
users can pip install Django[argon2_cffi]. We could then have a check that
tries to import it, and warns users if the argon2 hasher isn't in the list
of hashing algorithms. Alternatively, we could have the argon2 in the
hasher list of the default template, and do a warnings.warn() if the import
of the dependency fails.

I'm all for making it easier to use argon2, but not at the expense of
harming the experience for devs newer to Django.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/562bd2ba-73eb-4abe-bd18-d994e29d306d%40googlegroups.com.