On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 1:09 PM, Pkl <chambon.pas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My bad, if people are guaranteed 2 x 24-month cycles before a feature gets
> removed, it's already much better. However, the same pattern as previously
> appears in docs : "each feature release will continue to have a few
> documented backwards incompatibilities where a deprecation path isn’t
> possible or not worth the cost.". I might be paranoid, but I foresee lots
> of dependency breakages in the future, if incompatibilities continue to be
> introduced at developer's will.... History proved even seemingly harmless
> django modifications (ex. import aliases removed) broke external code,
> sometimes forcing "commit reverts" in django code.

Just to clarify, the future plan -- beginning with Django 2.0, the next
release after 1.11, which is about to feature-freeze -- is:

1. Releases go in a cycle of X.0, X.1, X.2, (X+1).0. So, for example, 2.0,
then 2.1, then 2.2, then 3.0.
2. Each X.2 is an LTS.
3. Code which runs with no deprecation warnings on an LTS will also run
(though may raise deprecation warnings) on the next LTS.
4. Thus, any time you run on an LTS with no deprecation warnings, you know
you're safe to upgrade to the next LTS. And once you clear any new
deprecation warnings on the new LTS, you know you're clear to upgrade to
the one after that.

Regarding backwards-incompatible changes in general: they do happen, but
they also follow the guidelines in the API stability document. When they
occur, it's because there's a security issue or larger bug being solved.
Additionally, many of the seemingly-large list of such changes each release
are, if you dig into them, changes to private/internal or at least
undocumented APIs not covered by the stability policy, but we've learned
people still rely on those APIs and so we document changes to them even if
we don't guarantee stability in them.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAL13Cg8_0BRpu1b_zz2Dx_YXcLaXGXw8Qw0jfA_uDhaxt%3DD_%3Dw%40mail.gmail.com.