On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 4:47 AM, Adam Johnson <m...@adamj.eu> wrote:

> We implemented something similar at YPlan but discovered that it wasn't a
> good idea as a system check, because if a dependency changes from another
> devs work then often Django can't even start and run the system check.
> Especially a problem when upgrading Django itself! Instead we implemented
> it as a function that runs in manage.py before Django is even loaded.

On top of this, a cleaner solution is to use a monitoring service (like
https://requires.io/) to keep track of dependencies and get notified of
issues (especially useful since those services can break down issues like
"this is out of date" versus "this has known security issues").

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAL13Cg9cqjBa_kyncL-jjOCk57iLbHyV6e7AefyQTwccQhyQSA%40mail.gmail.com.