Just my late 2 cents to this...

First, I wouldn't put too much weight on the DEP proposals. Looking back to
them now, I don't think they went to the right direction.

For Michal Petrucha's work, it was really close to being merged some years
ago. The problem was that migrations happened at the same time, and that
resulted in need of substantial changes to Michal's work, and unfortunately
this never happened. So, I'd put a lot of weight on this work.

If I'd were to take on this task, I'd try to develop the feature with the
idea of merging the work in multiple batches. For example this might be a
possible plan:
  1. Introduce virtual/composite field, only CREATE TABLE migrations
support at this point, not documented as public API
  2. Add support for primary key and unique composite fields, again
non-public
  3. Work on foreign keys, again non-public
  4. Migrations support
  5. Make the work public API (that is, document the work)

This would give a chance to get the work done in incremental pieces. Doing
this all in one go is such a large task that there is a big risk of not
getting this done at all.

Whatever approach you take, I really hope you'll be able to work on this
and get this long waited feature in to Django.

 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/dae2ef67-99cf-4782-96fb-a399a3bb6ae3%40googlegroups.com.