tl;dr

I'm not debating deployment here: my automated deployments are fine
the way it is today: I love linux and env vars, shells and subshells
and so on.

I'm /reporting/ that users have been fighting the lack for
DJANGO_SETTINGS_FILE for as long as I can remember.

In many case, they loose the fight and make something that's unusable
for an actual linux or django guru like you.

Have I really been the only witness of all kinds of horrors in
settings.py just because they wanted to have their deployment settings
parsed in it from another file path ?

I suggest we show people who do not abide by 12factor that they are welcome too.

I recommend we show people who do not have the technical background to
deal with env vars that we can think of them too, and not just about
ourselves hackers.

So, next time I have a Django deployment workshop with newbies, they
won't tell me: "You can't expect everybody to be a guru James".

Thanks for reading
Best
James

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAC6Op1-F0Yn8QM9x5qQjDtcXT-FRC%3DvN7v--YfcT8m6K6W1qdw%40mail.gmail.com.