Hi all,

I've noticed that the django.utils.translation module apparently doesn't
recognise gettext's handling of fallback translations when both a
territory-specific translation catalog (e.g. Spanish (Spain), 'es_ES') and
a generic one (e.g. Spanish, 'es') exist.

According to Python's locale logic (specifically gettext._expand_lang and
locale.normalize), the territory-specific catalog always takes precedence -
even when only the generic 'es' locale was requested - and so when the
gettext module constructs a translation catalog for Spanish, it uses the
'es_ES' dictionary with 'es' as a fallback. When django.utils.translation
assembles the final merged catalog to apply Django's own precedence rules,
it doesn't check for the existence of fallbacks on the individual gettext
objects, so we end up not using the 'es' translations at all.

We just got bitten by this on the Wagtail project, because the last version
added a small and incomplete 'es_ES' translation, inadvertently causing our
existing (comprehensive) 'es' translations to disappear from view:
https://github.com/wagtail/wagtail/issues/3600

I haven't been able to find any previous mention of this gotcha, which
surprises me a bit since it seems like quite a fundamental part of
gettext's functionality. I've come up with a quick-and-dirty fix at
https://github.com/wagtail/wagtail/issues/3600#issuecomment-302354552, but
a proper solution that respects both gettext's and Django's precedence
rules is probably going to be a lot more involved. So, before I go ahead
and work on that fix, I was wondering if A) this is legitimately a missing
feature rather than just our translation management not being up to
scratch, and B) whether there's been any previous work on addressing this?

Cheers,

- Matt

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/e0dc91a7-9312-4c5c-beb6-f1b4521b5a32%40googlegroups.com.