Vlada:
I think this is a great idea for improving the usability of manage.py,
especially for newcomers. When I looked your current implementation used a
simple 'in' to find suggestions, but this is not great for the most
obvious/common use case: typos.

I would strongly advocate for using the levenshtein distance algorithm if
this does get merged, there are some simple and succinct python
implementations we can use, and the algorithm itself is what git uses to
suggest commands (and I've always found that quite good).

Brice:
You are right in that this is a case that could happen in part due to this
feature, but it's a long shot and IMO the benefits outweigh the risks. This
can happen without this feature anyway - if someone is typing in random
manage.py commands without thinking then issues can and will arise. The
only preventative measure we could take would be to add an "are you sure?"
prompt after every manage.py invocation which is not a great idea overall.

For newcomers though this could be great, seeing the 'command not found'
message can be confusing and unhelpful, any help we can add to that is a
good thing IMO. Adding stars to the command invocation can be even more
confusing as users have to escape them (and if they don't they could end up
running random commands) and it's not terribly nice UI wise.

Built in shell autocompletion would be the best way forward in this case,
at least for non-windows users. Kubectl has a nice way of doing this:
source <(kubectl completion bash|zsh). Maybe something like this could be
adapted for manage.py?