> It does? Can you give me a link to that please?

Pard me, it does not explicitly say to set values programmatically, but
that this is the place to go when fields depend on each other, and since
clean is a multi-step process which does not include only field validation,
but settings values too, it kind of makes sense.

1) Form and field validation
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/ref/forms/validation/#cleaning-and-validating-fields-that-depend-on-each-other>

The form subclass’s clean() method can perform validation that requires
> access to multiple form fields. This is where you might put in checks such
> as “if field A is supplied, field B must contain a valid email address”.
> *This
> method can return a completely different dictionary if it wishes, which
> will be used as the cleaned_data*.

2) Cleaning and validating fields that depend on each other
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/ref/forms/validation/#cleaning-and-validating-fields-that-depend-on-each-other>

Suppose we add another requirement to our contact form: if the cc_myself
> field is True, the subject must contain the word "help". *We are
> performing validation on more than one field at a time, so the form’s
> clean() method is a good spot to do this.*

3) Model.clean()
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/ref/models/instances/#django.db.models.Model.clean>

This method should be used to provide custom model validation, *and to
> modify attributes on your model if desired*. For instance, you could use
> it to automatically provide a value for a field, or to do validation that
> requires access to more than a single field.

Please, don't get me wrong, I'm far away from the idea of deprecating
`commit=False`. I just personally try to void it and trying to explain my
arguments.

The generic error message is something that I supply in some forms of mine
> where race conditions can happen due to high concurrency. This is why I
> guard form.save, catch database errors and then use form.add_error to add a
> generic error message asking for a retry.

Yes, that's definitely the place when something outside the validation
process can happen, but you don't need `commit=False` here ;)

One alternative approach to validate the instance w/o `commit=False` right
now would be to change the form like so:

class BookForm(forms.ModelForm):

    class Meta:
        model = Book
        fields = ('name', 'user')
        widgets = {'user': forms.HiddenInput()}

    def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
        super(BookForm, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
        self.fields['user'].disabled = True

#in the view
form = BookForm(data={'name': 'Harry Potter'}, initial={'user': user})

But if we compare this with the form in the first post, we are just
Fixing/Patching it, i.e. fighting with it in order to make it work for us.

However, there is one more little difference here, which I want to point
out. Image we didn't had the unique constrain, and we just wanted to hide
the user field from the form, and we do it this way (instead of the one
with the `instance` kwarg as in the first post). Doing this and adding the
unique_constrain later on would yield to no more core changes (except
changing the error msg if too ambiguous). While using the `commit=False`
approach would require further code changes and it would be multiplied by
the number of views the form is being used, and by the number of forms
where the field has been omitted (i.e. commit=False has been used). Its a
slight difference, but can lead to a big wins.

About the error message, to be honest I don't know, gonna keep thinking
about it, one thing that came to mind is to strip the missing fields, i.e.
instead of "Book with this User and Name already exists." to become: "Book
with this Name already exists." but it really depends on the context. The
one thing that I know for sure is that personally I would definitely prefer
an ambiguous message, rather than a 500 server error.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/220eda0a-5f34-4859-b0e1-db65575359df%40googlegroups.com.