There is a maybe/someday ticket for this here: https://code.djangoproject.
com/ticket/24342

If your interested you could work on adding this into Django through that
ticket, it seems like an interesting idea.

When removing an enum value, how do you handle existing records? Are all
supported databases consistent in throwing errors if existing rows are
still present with a removed enumeration value?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFNZOJOqGuKL_eP0TxbL2TaH__j%2BYLKaOJAMQPhFdFWXya7zOg%40mail.gmail.com.