Hey Joey,

I think you can create a new ticket for this function. If there is a way to
approximate or implement this function in all 4 supported backends then
that would be preferred. If it can only really be implemented in postgres,
then document in the ticket why, and you can add the new function to
contrib.postgres. Hope that helps?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/6560985c-9d33-4837-9af5-ee467ae5369b%40googlegroups.com.