> > We'd likely deprecate fewer features if we had to reach consensus on
> django-developers every time
>
> I’m not sure if you consider this a good thing or a bad thing Aymeric :)

It's really hard to say.

It's a balance between making Django better for future users and causing
pain to current users. The effect on Django itself and its maintainers is
negligible compared to the effect on end users.

We're doing a lot of small deprecations that affect few people. We would
likely do fewer of these if we added a formal process. But they aren't the
problem.

We're also doing some big deprecations which require refactoring every
Django project. We would likely keep doing these regardless of the process
— the URL changes even went through a DEP.

The biggest advantage of discussing deprecations on this mailing list first
would be improving communication. It would remove the frustration of
discovering deprecations after the fact, even if the final result is the
same.

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CANE-7mUVbfQkeJps_45o0jqvpstaNuinwrA32acav72T0DtNsw%40mail.gmail.com.