Op 11-12-17 om 11:26 schreef jr...@leukeleu.nl:
Django has a number of optional features that require the installation of additional Python packages.

> ... snip ...

I've created a pull request adding the optional dependencies found in the test requirements: https://github.com/django/django/pull/9440 / https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28905

So end users can do things like:

$ pip install Django[mysql,sqlparse,images,memcached]
$ pip install Django[postgresql,gis]
$ pip install Django[selenium,test-parallel]

Good idea! I have two comments:

First, in the ticket, I see psycopg2 as requirement for the "postgresql" extra. Fine. That's totally required. For the "gis" extra it is numpy and geoip2. Numpy isn't strictly required: according to the readme it is 'highly recommended'.

=> What is the meaning of such an 'extra'? Does it contain 'highly recommended' and higher? Or also optional packages?

You *do* mention 'optional' in the ticket. So if I do 'Django[gis]' I ought to get every package that's mentioned as "hey, that's handy" in the documentation, right?

Second, I wonder whether the one-item extras are really needed. If you want to use numpy, you'll install numpy yourself. You don't really need 'Django[numpy]' to tell you to install numpy.

admindocs->docutils: yes, that's handy
numpy->numpy: seems less useful
gis->numpy and geoip2: yes, useful

Reinout