To lend some weight to this, I've implemented an LRU loc mem cache and have
done some benchmarking. There are some graphs in the
readme: https://github.com/kogan/django-lrucache-backend - which I've
written a little about
https://devblog.kogan.com/blog/a-smarter-local-memory-django-cache-backend
(I don't think my particular implementation is useful to core, as it relies
on a 3rd party C lib, but using OrderedDict is cool!).

You can also get a very nice bump in throughput if you eliminate the
`validate_key` check, which does a character by character check of the key
to avoid issues with particular characters in memcache.

We don't want to be promoting locmemcache too much, but that said, if we
can provide a better default then we should in my opinion.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/fdb91901-c378-4258-9201-d24a9f5f103e%40googlegroups.com.