> Do we think async is worth going after?

I think this is hugely important. Django's advantage in the field currently
is in it's developer productivity and maintainability. As frameworks based
on Node or on languages with co-operative concurrency built-in continue to
mature it's going to face more of a squeeze there, while being less
resource efficient than many alternatives.

Although performance characteristics are often over-stated or over-valued,
it's still a substantive point against a team choosing Django in some
circumstances. It's particularly relevant in super successful high-scale
cases, and I want Django to continue to be a great choice both for single
person building out an MVP on a couple of instances, all the way up to
large teams working on massive systems, with many running services.

If we don't attempt to tackle this I think we may end up very slowly
starting to write Django out as a contender for some teams.

> Can we do this in a reasonable timeframe? If not, is there a way around
that?

I can't speak to the ORM work, as I don't know the internals well enough,
but I think how everything else is proposed makes sense. The minimal first
step, of tackling the request/response path is already potentially valuable
for any teams that include an API gateway as one of their services - being
able to have a Django-based app that can make non-blocking requests out to
other services would immediately benefit a decent chunk of real-world use
cases.

> How should we fund this?

It's a pretty serious amount of funding you'd want to see, so I guess
ideally not as a single backer.
A joint combination of Mozilla's MOSS program, PSF grant, and corporate
sponsorships all orchestrated together? (Waves hands magically)
Wrt. corporate sponsorships I think we might well want to set realistic
expectations about how much developer time money actually buys, and a set a
decently high minimum tier. What I think works especially well is tying in
contributions, so. eg. an agreed-in-principle grant that's conditional on
also achieving a certain amount of corporate sponsorships might be a great
motivator for companies to make a shared, collaborative investment. ??

Thanks Andrew - *really* exciting proposal.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/72d08b8d-06e8-4447-8017-9f3629b43656%40googlegroups.com.