Our project also suffers extensively with mutating objects assigned from
setUp, preventing us from moving most of our tests to setUpTestData. I'll
likely begin using your pypi package right away, thanks Simon!

Backward compat issues are probably likely - but they'd be in test cases
exclusively, making them extremely easy to find during an upgrade. That
said, a deprecation warning is probably the most sensible path forward to
prevent the need for immediate action.

Is there anyway to determine the pickle-ability of something without just
trying to pickle it? I wouldn't be keen on that overhead. Could you just
capture any copy exceptions, raise a deprecation warning, and abandon the
copy for that attribute?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/df0991aa-18d3-4fcd-999d-7226a64faf75%40googlegroups.com.