There never was an official Django image, it was an "official docker"
Django image that they maintained. The page image page explains why it was
deprecated: https://hub.docker.com/_/django

For most usages of this image, it was already not bringing in django from
> this image, but actually from your project's requirements.txt, so the
> only "value" being added here was the pre-installing of mysql-client,
> postgresql-client, and sqlite3 for various uses of the django framework.

I fully agree with this, it made little sense as an image at all.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/db603927-bed9-4734-8e52-a0500c9d69e0%40googlegroups.com.