Hello everyone,

I'm planning on writing a PEP on long-term API stability for Django.
Most of the rationale behind this kind of commitment is described here :
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/api-stability-is-cheap-and-easy/

The idea is that the django ecosystem has suffered a lot, over the past
decade, from the numerous breakages happening at each (minor) release. I
could write pages just about what "outsiders" like me endured regarding
neverending URL patterns changes.

Lots of pluggable apps, and their own plugins and bridges, have become
incompatible with each other due to sticking to different django versions,
or to lack of Tox-like cross-version testing. Some undocumented breaking
changes (like classes replaced by other ones but missing functionality, or
laziness introduced without autoloading measures for backwards
compatibility (RequestContext?)) also hindered misc projects, as seen in
their bugtrackers.

With *less* work than currently, except small changes in procedures, we can
revive the majority of existing packages (except python2vs3 troubles),
currently maintained or not, and make upgrades much smoother, which will
also improve the overall security of django-backed sites (since users won't
fear upgrades anymore). We can thus reach the same regard for compatibility
as most industrial-size ecosystems, without sacrificing the cleanness of
the codebase, nor its maintainability.

For this, imho the best way is just have to include in Django official
support for a companion library like
https://github.com/pakal/django-compat-patcher , with which I've had
immense success

There are several ways of doing this, and for this more thoughts are
necessary:

- putting compatibility sets in the repository, as a django.compt submodule
for example?
- putting them in an external repository, but strongly advising them in
tutorials and otehr docs, like a prime "official project" of django?

There are probably aspects of the issue that I'm missing, as I'm not into
django "core" development.
So your feedbacks are more than welcome!

Thanks,
regards,
Pakal

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1d2f1399-3310-4b36-ae74-9581a0695002%40googlegroups.com.