On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 1:29 PM Jure Erznožnik <jure.erznoz...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry for barging in like this, but this is actually a problem I have been
> dealing with quite a bit lately, so:
>
> In my work I very often have to decide, depending on what's calling, what
> the rendered output might be. Ultimately I went with DRF and its content
> negotiation, though even that one - as implemented - sometimes isn't
> sufficient.
>
> See, the problem sometimes isn't that you request JSON and then get JSON,
> request HTML and get HTML.

I think content negotiation is about giving the option to request the
content in different formats, not rendering different content based on
which format is requested.

> You also have to cater for exceptions. Maybe a 4xx would return additional
> objects to insert into the DOM while a 200 would be fine with a JSON or
> even without data. What about 500?

This (and below) is about how to design a particular API for your needs, I
think it is out of the scope of the problem discussed. The problem
discussed is that is_ajax is not a reliable way to determine the origin of
a request (and then format the content of a response)

> I'm currently handling this with custom headers and the caller (the
> browser) tells the server what kind of outputs it can handle in different
> types of output.
>
> The server then performs the branching at certain code points,
> specifically the ones mentioned above. DRF allows me to choose the
> appropriate renderer. Though I should mention here, that the data is
> already serialised at that point: sometimes this creates issues for
> renderers that might desire more information to do their work. Just
> mentioning that render stages need to be accounted for too. This may not be
> a problem for core Django as it doesn't have stages.
>
> Again, sorry, but still hoping this helped in some way.

LP,