On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 7:21:24 AM UTC+2, Carlton Gibson wrote:

> For instance if we were to include a compression step, you’d always just
> reference the raw assets, these being processed, with source maps if we had
> that, for production.

It certainly is the proper approach to refer to the canonical
representation of a file, rather than a transformed one. However in case of
JavaScript and CSS assets, tools written in JavaScript (from my point of
view) are much more sophisticated, rather than their Python equivalents.
Therefore this step usually is performed outside of Django, usually within
an npm run ... command. So unless Django embraces npm in order to execute
the compile/compress/concatenate/uglify-steps, I don't see a lot of
possibilities other than referring to the processed, aka *.min.xyz file.