I have put in a PR (https://github.com/django/django/pull/13029) that I
think matches pretty well with the comments from Carl Meyer in the
conversation you linked. Please let me know what you think of it.

It adds a small helper function that will read an env var, optionally
coercing it to a type, optionally falling back to a default. It also makes
two of the settings in the default settings.py template (DEBUG and
SECRET_KEY) use this function, with their previous values set as defaults.

Thanks!