> I don't see a reason to deprecate it at all just now (though perhaps in
_my_ ideal world that would happen at some point), but I'm not sure if it's
worth keeping the current interface in the documentation at all?

IMHO, we should eventually take the advice from the zen of Python "There
should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it.". While we
should not take this as dogma, I do think it is generally wise.

If there are increased concerns about existing projects, perhaps we could
delay the initial deprecation or apply some kind of extended deprecation
period that would allow projects more time to migrate. Removing the old
interface from the docs is a great first step.

But ultimately, I think having two interfaces to solve the same tasks
confuses new library users and makes project coding styles more difficult
than necessary.