While I agree with some of the author's points, I think a critical piece of
context is that Django migrations are designed for the 90% case - i.e., people
who just want something to work on a small scale and don't need to worry about
many aspects of the database yet.

Like all parts of Django, it's designed to be progressively ignorable if you
need to, and even deliberately includes a way to run SQL migrations (as the
author suggests) complete with state tracking and no need to write a separate
script, and is the intended approach for larger teams/codebases like the ones I
work on. Migrations isn't meant to only be "makemigrations" and the model-based
approach; there's also an underlying SQL application and dependency ordering
engine that can be used standalone.

Andrew