I will the standard way to start contributing into open source is same and
are as follow;

   - Read the code of conduct provided by community for the project you
   want to contribute, for django specifically you can use
   https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.2/internals/contributing/ . I will
   recommend read carefully the part with Code styling, testing and pull
   request as headings, though all of it is important.
   - Try to watch the issue raised by other people in community under the
   heading ISSUES on GitHub,And understand how to raise issue or bugs or new
   features and solutions provided in subsequent comment on that.
   - Look for issue/bug that you think can resolve and ask community if you
   could provide solution Of same, then after you to follow steps mentioned in
   Contribution Guide.

I will recommend try building some projects on Django before getting
started to contribute, because
That way you will understand the context of discussion in issues comments
and also help you give a
Better solution.