Hi Chris,

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 11:30:46 AM UTC+2 christopher....@gmail.com
wrote:

> The question is how to add support cleanly so that both names are
> supported in 4.1?  Is there a preference?  Particularly how can it be be
> done to reuse code without (temporary) duplication?

Good question, no idea :) I am having the same problem with psycopg3 and
this is what I did
https://github.com/django/django/pull/15687/files#diff-01f6880f77beca32ee83e011072ba73dc7eed7f9f3efdebd935af693a4fac7b3

-- basically I added a compatibility module which does imports from the
respective locations, with the idea of being able to simply run sed over
this in the future. I know this isn't much of an answer and the differences
between psycopg2 & 3 are rather minimal but maybe a similar approach is
viable for oracle as well?

> Regarding connection options, yes some things are supported with the Easy
> Connect Plus syntax.  There are some connection properties that aren't
> supported, e.g  application contexts (this was also true of cx_Oracle). And
> maybe more in future depending what users ask for. A generic way to set
> these, e.g with OPTIONS is a good direction.

Yes, I'd use the existing backends as guidelines, common stuff like HOST
etc fits into the toplevel imo.

Cheers,
Florian