Some data...

The idna package has ~9M downloads a day (
https://pypistats.org/packages/idna ) compared with Django's ~350k (
https://pypistats.org/packages/django ).

However it has 191 GitHub stars ( https://github.com/kjd/idna ) compared to
Django's 66k ( https://github.com/django/django ).

I imagine most idna installs are from popular packages depending on it: at
least requests, and twisted do. Most people probably don't care about
complete domain validation (until they do). To me, it seems like a
reasonable dependency for Django to adopt, given so much of the ecosystem
uses it.

But I don't think there's much evidence of demand. I found one other ticket
mentioning idna, and this was with an extended regex, not the package (
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/18119 , seems stale, maybe closeable?
).

I'd suggest at this point: implement idna validators in a third party
package, do some advocacy for why projects would need it, and show some
adoption. This would make the case for Django itself stronger.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 4:18 PM 'Julien Bernard' via Django developers
(Contributions to Django itself) <django-developers@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm starting this discussion following ticket #33968
> <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/33968> recommendation in comment.
> Currently the punycode
> <https://github.com/django/django/blob/e64919ae54933ef4840f0e27e51d9fcfd55ecf4b/django/utils/encoding.py#L212>
> method is converting domain names from Unicode to ASCII using the
> deprecated IDNA 2003 standard.
> As suggested in the ticket, the method should use the idna
> <https://pypi.org/project/idna/> package that is fully compliant with the
> latest IDNA 2008 standard.
> Ticket comment points that adding a new dependency is problematic,
> however, in most case, someone using Django will end up with this
> dependency anyway as it is widely used. Django GeoIP2 contrib uses it for
> instance.
> Best regards,
> Julien

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/d4331b21-d9e8-4647-aa1f-357b00fb0125n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/d4331b21-d9e8-4647-aa1f-357b00fb0125n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAMyDDM263vJfcYe1ifPu0ACZX6RFh-acoRkp-LWMxRC-0r1THQ%40mail.gmail.com.
  • A... 'Julien Bernard' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
    • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... 'Julien Bernard' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
        • ... Carlton Gibson