I second Jörg about better maintainability with tighter integrations.

However, for the fun of stirring the pot, what's the opinion on letting
Django define an API for the ORM and letting a library deal with the
DB-specific implementation that generates the SQL for query?  Django could
have a list of officially supported DBs ('django.db.postgres') to be
included in the INSTALLED_APPS to select the DB to be used.

Meanwhile, the community can come up with support for other DBs like
CockroachDB, Mongo etc. (just an idea borrowed off the rust community). It
can even allow adding additional filters/commands specific to the DB.

Vaz