On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 2:04 AM Carlton Gibson <carlton.gib...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> No it's not. It's a bug in AsyncClient and AsyncRequestFactory, that means
> if you're using those on older versions of Django, you'll need to work
> around.
> This is no different than any of a thousand other cases where there's been
> a bug in an older version that folks have needed to account for.

I believe it is very different and have explained why repeatedly.

But if it is to be left unfixed, what is the plan for how to communicate
the workaround to people who will be running into this bug until at least
April of 2024? And what is the plan for communicating to them that Django
is aware async testing is broken and the official policy is to knowingly
leave it broken in every currently-released version of the framework? Even
if it will not be fixed for older versions, Django 4.1 ought to be eligible
for a backport. And I strongly urge allowing a backport to 4.0 and 3.2,
though I do not know what could convince you at this point.

This bug is bad. But this response to it is eroding my trust in Django, and
I hope you know that is not something I say lightly. I think it also is
going to erode the trust of other people when they find out about it, and
is going to do so at a critical time when Django is facing stiff
competition in the async space and cannot afford to lose more ground or be
seen as unwilling to support its own claimed async features.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAL13Cg_5wFeiQjEbOfRYJGgZ2Hn3cQoJHoW-CSUSGD9xuNehoA%40mail.gmail.com.
  • Bac... James Bennett
    • ... Carlton Gibson
      • ... James Bennett
        • ... Carlton Gibson
          • ... James Bennett
            • ... Carlton Gibson
              • ... James Bennett
                • ... Carlton Gibson
                • ... James Bennett
                • ... Carlton Gibson
                • ... James Bennett
                • ... Tim Graham
                • ... Kevin Grinberg
                • ... Carlton Gibson
                • ... James Bennett
                • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
                • ... James Bennett
                • ... Matthew Pava
                • ... Shai Berger