Mariusz, I agree with the burden, but it should be noted that SQL has both
CHECK on the field and table level, and CheckConstraint only defines
table-level constraints. This is not true for unique constraints or indices.

Also, what do you think of a way for custom field classes to add
constraints, at least? db_check() is somewhat limiting given it must return
raw SQL, plus it's undocumented.