Hi!

I would be happy to make a contribution if a decision can be reached.

I'm in favor of making the Group model swappable with the AUTH_GROUP_MODEL
setting, similar to the User model.

The ticket was marked as Someday/Maybe, I'm not sure why.
The customization of the Group model is necessary in any bigger project,
and defining a secondary model doesn't always cut it (e.g. when nesting the
Group model).

AUTH_GROUP_MODEL is consistent with the User model and addresses all
customization concerns.

Yes, it's hard to swap the User model in production, and it will be hard to
swap the Group model.
It's still better than hacking around Django
(see:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2181039/how-do-i-extend-the-django-group-model).

I opened a PR <https://github.com/django/django/pull/18053> to add this, it
addresses the basic functionality.