#27983: Tutorial should contain complete files at each step
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Reporter: Andrew Schell | Owner: nobody
Type: | Status: closed
Cleanup/optimization |
Component: Documentation | Version: 1.10
Severity: Normal | Resolution: wontfix
Keywords: newuser | Triage Stage:
| Unreviewed
Has patch: 0 | Needs documentation: 0
Needs tests: 0 | Patch needs improvement: 0
Easy pickings: 0 | UI/UX: 0
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
Changes (by Tim Graham):
* status: new => closed
* type: Uncategorized => Cleanup/optimization
* component: Uncategorized => Documentation
* resolution: => wontfix
Old description:
> In many places the site says to addd code, yet many of these strings of
> code are duplicates of other strings.
>
> How am I supposed to know where to put the string...
>
> The designer of the site assumes I know a ton of code or that I know
> where in my code to put the new code
>
> "Wire these new views into the polls.urls module by adding the following
> url() calls:
>
> Why don't you post the whole code at each junction rather than tease me
> as a new user with snippets when I have no idea where to put them in my
> code.
>
> I get it that this was designed by people with alot of experience... but
> for those of us who don't know django, how are we suppoed to learn if
> your code isn't following the python "explicitly labeled" mantra?
New description:
In many places the site says to add code, yet many of these strings of
code are duplicates of other strings.
How am I supposed to know where to put the string...
The designer of the site assumes I know a ton of code or that I know where
in my code to put the new code
"Wire these new views into the polls.urls module by adding the following
url() calls:
Why don't you post the whole code at each junction rather than tease me as
a new user with snippets when I have no idea where to put them in my code.
I get it that this was designed by people with a lot of experience... but
for those of us who don't know django, how are we supposed to learn if
your code isn't following the python "explicitly labeled" mantra?
--
Comment:
Thanks for the feedback but I'm not sure what changes to make based on
your feedback. The tutorial is designed to require some thinking rather
than just copy/pasting entire files at each step. If you have some
specific suggestions, feel free to offer them.
--
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27983#comment:1>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/069.d3ea1aa8e50f9fd670b2f1fd8e6d0410%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.