#28029: Removal of ability to reverse by dotted path found to be very non-DRY
----------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Reporter: Henrik Levkowetz | Owner: nobody
Type: Uncategorized | Status: closed
Component: Core (URLs) | Version: 1.10
Severity: Normal | Resolution: invalid
Keywords: | Triage Stage: Unreviewed
Has patch: 0 | Needs documentation: 0
Needs tests: 0 | Patch needs improvement: 0
Easy pickings: 0 | UI/UX: 0
----------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Comment (by Henrik Levkowetz):
I'm sorry if I tried to point out what I feel is a mistake in the wrong
place, by opening a ticket and referring back to the earlier ticket. I
had considered posting to the dev list, but when one of the core
developers with whom I talked at DjangoCon Europe (happening right now)
suggested I open a ticket about the matter, I did so.
I have read the [https://groups.google.com/d/topic/django-
developers/zTGP3Bs6uKE/discussion thread you pointed out], and I don't
find a rationale for removing the reversal by dotted path there. What I
find is a conflation of the two different issues mentioned in #22384.
Everything seems to hinge on Marc Tamlyn's statements in his final post on
that short thread, where he says "Firstly, it relies on automatic imports
via strings, ..." , which seems to associate the dotted-path-reversal
change with the ability to naming view functions by strings in `url()`.
However, removing automatic import via strings is orthogonal to the
ability to support reversal by dotted, path, as evidenced by the ability
to write a custom `url()` function the way I did, and the way originally
suggested by you (Tim).
My immediate problem is solved, but the harm I feel is done to Django by
the removal of the ability to do reversal by the dotted path of the view
function is not. Forcing people to re-invent new names for something that
already has a clear and definitive name is '''not''' supporting DRY, quite
the opposite.
So, what now? Is your (Tim) advice to take this up on the dev mailing
list trumping the earlier advice from a core developer to submit a ticket?
How can I open a discussion of this issue which will receive
consideration?
--
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28029#comment:2>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/067.c372bbefbe071420d57df504f52f0aa8%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.