#28344: Add for_update parameter to Model.refresh_from_db()
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
     Reporter:  Patryk Zawadzki      |                    Owner:  (none)
         Type:  New feature          |                   Status:  new
    Component:  Database layer       |                  Version:  master
  (models, ORM)                      |
     Severity:  Normal               |               Resolution:
     Keywords:                       |             Triage Stage:  Accepted
    Has patch:  0                    |      Needs documentation:  0
  Needs tests:  0                    |  Patch needs improvement:  0
Easy pickings:  0                    |                    UI/UX:  0
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Comment (by Patryk Zawadzki):

 Hugo, I appreciate your example but in my case I am dealing with financial
 transactions where I absolutely need to keep a database audit trail. This
 means I can't just wrap everything in a large transaction and risk it
 getting rolled back. Instead I have a number of tiny atomic blocks that
 need to be placed with surgical precision. This means I have to fetch the
 same object multiple times for it to act as the transaction
 synchronization point (via `SELECT FOR UPDATE` within each atomic block).

 Maybe it would be easier to introduce
 `transaction.atomic_with_locked(obj)` that would be the equivalent of:

 {{{
 with transaction.atomic():
     Foo.objects.select_for_update.get(pk=foo.pk)  # discarding the result
 is fine as the lock is now in place
     yield
 }}}

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/28344#comment:9>
Django <https://code.djangoproject.com/>
The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django updates" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-updates/064.feb8b54e89d76ec4096d09bb2675562c%40djangoproject.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to