On 07/28/06 02:02, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 16:44 -0700, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

>> > Exactly, the visual size, which is the same as the "size" html
>> > attribute, which also has no control of how many characters can be
>> > entered into the field.  The "maxlength" html attribute does control the
>> > number of characters allowed in the field, which CSS doesn't do, as
>> > stated poorly in my previous email. ;)
>>
>> Quite seriously, one way to make it easier to evaluate this would be for
>> somebody to finish up the remaining parts of ticket #1665. I'm not
>> saying 100% it will be accepted, since it leaks a bit across the line
>> between representation and presentation, but there may be no other good
>> way to do it, so it's not being rejected out of hand.
>
> Sorry, that came across a bit more negatively than I intended: it almost
> certainly will be accepted (see the threads linked from the bug). So
> it's not a roll of the dice -- the solution isn't ideal, but barring a
> better solution, it is a reasonable idea.

I've extended some of django's built in model and form fields to accept
an additional kwarg named 'html_attributes'.

It works like this:

class Whatever(models.Model):
   title = models.CharField(maxlength=128,
     html_attributes={
       'size': 15,
       'class': 'myCssClass'
     }
   )
   content = models.TextField(
     html_attributes={
       'dojoType': 'Editor',
       'items': 'formatBlock;textGroup;|;justifyGroup'
     }
   )

The fields are then rendered like:
<input type="text" id="id_title" class="vTextField required myCssClass"
name="title" size="15" value="" maxlength="128" />

<textarea rows="10" name="content" cols="40" class="vLargeTextField
required" id="id_content" dojoType="Editor"
items="formatBlock;textGroup;|;justifyGroup"></textarea>

Not perfect, but works for me.
I could wrap it up as a patch if someone's interested.

cheers
Steven