Hi,

I'm trying to use ReportLab to produce a PDF output for one of my
views.

My first question is - at the moment, I'm building up the PDF inside
my view. Is this really the recommended way of doing it? It's like
I've got presentation code inside my view (controller). Isn't there a
cleaner way of doing it, or going from a template to PDF somehow? (I
know ReportLab offers a commercial package using RML templates,
however I was hoping for an opensource/free method).

Second question, I have a model with several FK fields. E.g.

    class Article(models.Model):
        category = models.ForeignKey(Category)
        subject = models.ForeignKey(Subject)

Both the category and subject classes have fields called "name", and
__unicode__ methods defined which return name.

I'm trying to refer to these fields in my PDF output. I have a list of
items in article_list (i.e. queryset):

    for item in article_list:
        text = item.category
        category = Paragraph(text, styles['Heading2'])
        story.append(category)

        text = '%s' % item.subject
        subject = Paragraph(text, styles['Heading3'])
        story.append(subject)

When I try to run this code, I get:

    'Category' object has no attribute 'split'

and the same error with subject, obviously, once it gets to that bit
of the code.

Any idea why this might be, or how to fix it? Any help is much
appreciated.

Cheers,
Victor