TYVM for your response. My first reply does not show, so hopefully I'm
not double posting.

This is what I have so far:

TEMPLATE_DIRS           "C:/DjangoProjects/mysite/mytemplates/"
base_site.html location   C:\DjangoProjects\mysite\mytemplates

This is what base_site.html reads.
{% extends "admin/base.html" %}
{% load i18n %}
{% block title %}{{ title }} | {% trans 'Django site admin' %}{%
endblock %}
{% block branding %}
<h1 id="site-name">{% trans 'Django Administration' %}</h1>
{% endblock %}
{% block nav-global %}{% endblock %}

If this supposed to help me change the appearance?  I don't see how to
change anything here.