Except beware of using vi/vim to edit .py files since they are normally
configured to use tabs for indentation and to assume that a tab means
4 columns, whereas python (correct in the view of a really old timer)
takes them to mean 8 columns.

It is possible to configure at least vim to never insert tab characters
and to convert them to the right number of spaces for 8 columns on
reading a .py file.  But that's a separate issue.