On Apr 15, 2:23 pm, Jeff Blaine <cjbla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you all.  I will digest the replies when I have the time to properly
> focus back on the issue (it's obviously small, since I have a workaround in
> place by shoving base.html into the project root).
>
> It still, regardless of solutions, even in light of the words shared in this
> thread (which I've only skimmed for now), makes no sense to me how it's "the
> right thing" that my index.html is found but base.html cannot be found just
> because it is referenced by "extend".  I will have to decide for the
> time-being that there's some underlying good reason/concept that I just am
> not savvy to.
>
> You found index.html fine!  It says in it to extend "base.html"!  Find it in
> the same place you found index.html!

You didn't post how you loaded the template in your view function. In
particular, what path string you used.

In any event, this isn't magic. I suggest you read this section of the
docs:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/ref/templates/api/#loading-templates

In particular, pay attention to the TEMPLATE_DIRS and TEMPLATE_LOADERS
settings in your project. Those settings control the template search
order.

Best,
BN