Not a web developer but have a bit of software savy and looking to develop
a custom app for use in my business which is consulting engineering. I want
to develop application that helps me in documenting inspections I make on a
jobsite. Basicly what happens is I would go out with a tablet and use my
webapp to collect and document construction progress mainly to document
construction deficiencies and monitor progress of construction. From the
data collected on the job site I would push this data through a reporting
engine to prepare a pdf style site review report which would get emailed to
the project architect, all the consultants, owner and contractor - the
intent is to have this happen while on the job site. On the office side I
want to develop a basic project based document management system where I
can document when field reviews were conducted, summarize deficiencies and
also ensure that deficiencies are completed and signed off on (as the
engineer I take legal responsibility for all the deficiencies). I also want
to be able to manage all my projects find projects by client, owner,
architect etc.

By the looks of it Django should be able to do all this but the one issue
that I am unsure about is an offline mode. The idea is to have a tablet
with a data connection but if there is no data connection I still need to
complete the forms and cache the data until it can be sync'd later on. From
what I have read, data syncing can get a bit knarly, something I don't want
to get into myself.

I envision a custom android app for the tablet - for this I need access to
the GPS and camera (my ultra cool feature will be my tablet automatically
pulling up a project page as I drive up to the job site based on the GPS
coordinates!). Will this be a web page or will it be an actual app?

Guess I am looking for some basic advice on how to architect this with the
above issues in mind.