On 20-6-2012 0:49, André Pang wrote:
> The idea is to try to ensure that no empty strings make it to the
> database, so you're not allowed to insert them into the database. You
> can ensure this at the Django (ORM) layer right now with blank=True for
> the admin or by checking the blank attribute manually in your own code,
> but there's no database-level restriction, which is what I'm after.

Because this would break consistency. Your application would behave
differently for different backends, which is rather confusing.

Your change would throw null violation errors when blank values are
inserted /only in Oracle/. So when empty strings are possibilities the
backend has to enforce "NULL is ok" on the field definition to keep
behavior consistent.
If blank values are not acceptable in your application, you'd do this in
your model definition and form validation. Your real issue is with the
SQL standards body and Oracle and whoever thought it was a good idea to
make NULL and "value of zero length" different concepts.

--
Melvyn Sopacua