Looks like an incompatible version of Django perhaps (first glance).

Alternatively, just patch it yourself based on the error given:

@@@
django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: You're using the staticfiles
app without having set the STATIC_ROOT setting.
@@@

See https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/static-files/

Cal