Tom

I'm not a DBA so I'll need to do some quiet study of those references. Thanks for that.

Cheers

Mike

On 1/07/2013 9:35pm, Tom Evans wrote:
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au> wrote:
mulianto and Avraham

Thanks for your suggestions. Dumping data isn't the entire problem - which
is this:

There will be an *ongoing* need to add new data from tables in one database
to the same-named tables in another database on a remote machine. Two of the
tables are in a m2m relationship.

Sounds like you want replication from one database to another. Recent
versions of Postgres have built in support for what they call "log
shipping" or "streaming replication", where logs of updates are
transferred to backup servers and executed:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/warm-standby.html

This requires some manual setup of your servers to transfer the logs.

There are other forms of replication, postgresql actually provide a
useful table listing the various solutions, their pros/cons, and links
on how to implement them. Lots of the solutions are not part of
postgresql itself, but use third party packages like slony to effect
the replication. See here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/different-replication-solutions.html

Cheers

Tom