On Monday, July 1, 2013 10:32:53 PM UTC+10, si...@2ndquadrant.com wrote:

> On 1 July 2013 13:02, Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au
> <javascript:>>wrote:
>

>> On 1/07/2013 9:35pm, Tom Evans wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Mike Dewhirst
>>> <mi...@dewhirst.com.au<javascript:>>

> You can use direct access via "foreign tables" the name of the Postgres
> distributed database feature.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-createforeigntable.html

Simon

I read the
sql-createforeigntable<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-createforeigntable.html>
 page
and I think I know what a distributed database is versus a replicated
database. But I have no idea why I would choose one over the other. Can you
suggest?

In any case, I'm 99% sure I should "refactor" (if that's the right word)
the reference tables out of the database into a separate database and get
to that data via a Django router. Not sure how I'll do that just yet but it
has to come ahead of a distribute/replicate solution.

Thanks

Mike