...and of course now I find a FAQ item that seems to talk about exactly
what I want to do:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.6/faq/admin/#how-do-i-limit-admin-access-so-that-objects-can-only-be-edited-by-the-users-who-created-them

I'm still curious to hear comments, though, because if this is possible
then I'm no longer clear what the conventional wisdom is regarding when and
how to use AdminSite vs when it's time to buckle down and write your own
interface.

While I'm at it, and possibly related to the above, ultimately what I'd
like to be able to do is load and submit editing forms from within the view
interface via AJAX (ie click an icon on an object and the regular content
is replaced with the corresponding admin edit form).  It looks like you can
add '_popup=1' to any admin url and get something that could work
reasonably well for embedding, and then you'd just need some javascript to
cause the submit button to use e.g. jQuery.post()... right?

Any tips/warnings with regard to this?

--Brad

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/dfae28eb-b7d6-4abd-afac-564e7f389521%40googlegroups.com.