On Thursday, 21 April 2016 18:51:48 UTC+10, Marcin Nowak wrote:

> If you're building some report-like queries, or any static queries, I
> would suggest to use raw sql.
> You can optionally wrap results with model instances using
> Model.objects.raw().

Thanks Marcin.  Yeah, good call perhaps.  We're certainly drawn to raw sql
(which we all know fairly well) compared to learning Django's tricks for
complex queries, but the originator of our project chose to write lots of
unit tests using sqlite (instead of our production mysql) for speed and
simplicity reasons (notwithstanding questions of incompatibility) - so an
ORM offers some extra value currently due to SQL differences that can be
handled automatically.  On first glance SA appears a little more like SQL
than Django's query language - though I'm sure there's times when I may
tear my hair out wanting raw SQL.

Well done with your efforts - it looks promising.  If I run into problems
with SA, I'll certainly give it a try!

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts,
John

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/dfd82122-b043-4e2d-bb2d-a248a2723078%40googlegroups.com.