Lets troubleshoot:

 * Does the directory show up when you do a *dir* command in projectdir ?
 * Can you do anything on the *mysite* directory - can you rename it,
   or even delete it ?
 * Can you see it in File explorer
 * Can you manually create a directory in your *projectdir* ?
 * Can you create a different projectdir - and run *django-admin
   startproject mysite* in there ?

My gut feeling is that this is a diskdrive/OS type issue - rather than Django specific

You may have a corrupted directory - or a bad section of disk; try the troubleshooting steps above first.