On Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 10:26:25 AM UTC-4, Dan Madere wrote:

> I tried out the example code, and can replicate this. What's interesting
> is that if I try removing the ContactConnection model, and the "through"
> attribute, this allows Django to create the intermediate table on its own,
> and then your get_connections() method works as expected! It seems like
> using a custom through table is causing this somehow. I haven't found a fix
> but will keep looking.

 Dan, thanks for looking into this issue.

I found the unit tests for this capability in
https://github.com/django/django/tree/master/tests/m2m_through which seems
to indicate that it does work.

I updated my version of Django to 3.1.b1 and copied the models and tests
into my code. Neither the admin nor queries on the ManyToManyField return
the full "symmetric" results.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!