On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 13:40 +0200, Bram - Smartelectronix wrote:
> hey guys,
>

> due to some unfortunate events we will have to release our current
> django-based site on one server instead of two. We were planning to put
> postgres on another machine, but that's not possible for now.
>
> The machine is a dual opteron 1.8GHz (dualcore) with 4GB of RAM. Running
> postgres, django in mod_python + Apache2, lighttpd for media (on a
> different IP, but on the same machine) *and* memcached for anonymous users!
>
> Can anyone give me some kind of ballpark of what we will be able to
> handle with this? As in request/second or whatever you might think of. I
> don't errors of 80%, it's just to have some idea ;-)

Seriously, these questions are almost impossible to answer. Things that
will cause variance in the answer: How much computation is done in your
views? How much data is retrieved in each request? How big is the
database (will it all fit into buffer cache? how long do typical queries
take?) How much data will be memcached in typical use (depends on number
of different pages and caching time)? What happens if you don't use
memcache or vastly change what is cahced? What's the typical number of
requests to the media server? What sort of HTTP caching benefits are you
going to get for your media (lots of repeat requests for the same data)?

I don't want to sound discouraging, but if the answer is at all critical
to your operation, you can't trust any numbers you get here. They will
not have the same usage patterns as yours. Benchmark, benchmark,
benchmark is the only way.

Regards,
Malcolm