On 7/5/07, John-Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> @Nimrod - You were right about the permissions on /home/john-scott/
> workspace, chmod 755 fixed that. But I still have to have the django
> development code in /opt to get it to load. Any ideas why symlinking
> to /home/john-scott/workspace/django_src/django doesn't work?

You want to have the 'django_src' directory linked onto your Python
path, not the 'django' directory -- the Python path should contain the
*parent* directories of any modules you want Python to be able to
find.

> And where do you typically keep the template and/or admin media files?
> Can these be kept in /home/john-scott/workspace/mysite/{templates|
> admin_media} etc.? Or do these have to be placed under /var/www?

Media files to be served directly need to be in a location under the
web server's document root, but templates can be in any location
that's readable by the user the web server is running as, and it's
generally a good idea to have as few Django-related files in the
document root as possible.

Remember that there are a number of different template loaders
available for Django which can look in different places automatically
-- the "app directories" one, for example, automatically looks inside
any installed application's directory for templates.